SPRING THAWED MY PAIN

Seasonal change has inspired many songs and paintings for me. Last spring, I illustrated several varieties of fruit blossoms. Many of those same trees have already begun blooming again.

In January, I completed a complicated painting that I named “Pomegranate Tree.” Technically, pomegranate blossoms are long gone by the time the fruit appears. However, I used artistic license to add them back in.

On the topic of seasonal change, my newest meditation track “Autumn Hope” is now live.

The various guitar parts for this instrumental really spoke to me. Each one was composed during the course of a year. The sections that were created months apart had different rhythms, but I was amazed how everything flowed together once it was finished.

Clicking on this image plays my track on the meditation app, Insight Timer.

Utilizing my Autumn Hope painting as my instrumental’s song cover was especially satisfying.

This past fall held many challenges for me; I honestly felt like my last blog post was a downer. But my instrumental “Autumn Hope” perfectly embodies my beautiful catharsis back to positivity. On the Insight Timer description, I wrote “I found a way to conquer my sadness,” and that line alone was very empowering.

I recorded the solo guitar part over a period of two days. Editing those guitar recordings took weeks. When I finished, I wasn’t satisfied with simply one guitar. My song felt like a recipe – there were many flavors within the passages that called for another guitar part.

So I went back to recording again and transposed all the chords into another key. That way, I could play a higher version using a capo. I created many choices of sounds – light finger-picking, strums, and oodles of delicate harmonics. Just learning the harmonic part alone required a lot of notation and practice.

The actual composition of Autumn Hope is about 16 minutes. I repeated it and added more guitar additions to the second half. I especially loved the ending.

My recent painting of passion fruit shows that passion is definitely part of my life!

On my last post, I wrote about my struggles after a painful eyebrow lift procedure. I have put it behind me and am relieved I was not left with a worse result from plastic surgery. I can even acknowledge some imperceptible improvement. I will gladly take any kind of improvement!

I continue to work on piano songs for a new medley. In keeping with the theme of seasonal change, last week I completed a new solo piano clip for my song “Every Season.” The title of this post is taken from a line of lyrics for that song.

When my son Jason died in 1992, grief was exquisite torture that ebbed and flowed with the seasons. I remember the pain, but do not experience it anymore the way I used to.

Because Jason died in the fall, “Autumn Hope” has even more significance. Hope is a driving force in my life and my energy is devoted to uplifting anyone struggling with grief. Never let go of your hope!

As the smell of blossoms surround me this spring, I’m grateful for so much in my life.

More about my song can be found with this link: EVERY SEASON

About Judy

I'm an illustrator by profession. At this juncture in my life, I am pursuing my dream of writing and composing music. Every day of my life is precious!
This entry was posted in Healing and Hope and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to SPRING THAWED MY PAIN

1. Dear Judy,

My passion for passionfruit is passionate as I passionately appreciate your painting of passionfruit.

Thank you for sharing your journey of composing “Autumn Hope” in light of the passing of Jason as well as your missing him. I feel that the music has a transformative quality about it.

I would like to make a suggestion that “Autumn Hope” be embedded in your current post rather than taking the reader to a webpage of a different blog. After all, you have embedded your other composition (as a video) in the same post. Oh Judy, I feel so much love in this composition of yours entitled “SPRING THAWED MY PAIN”, and I am in tears. Indeed, “with autumn’s cold you never grow old”. For Jason.

Happy mid-February to you!

Take care and prosper!

Yours sincerely,
    SoundEagle

Liked by 2 people

• Judy says:

Thank you so much, dear SoundEagle! I appreciate all your words and am very touched by what you wrote. I’m glad you relate to passion so well – I knew you would!

Thank you so much for your advice about embedding the webpage. I certainly love sending people to the free site “Insight Timer.” I having a lot more music there and perhaps that is my motive with the link. 🙂
      Thank you so much again for your comment!

Liked by 2 people

• Dear Judy,

You are very welcome. I have always found your music to be highly resonating and meaningful. And I can speak the same about your paintings.

I would like to clarify that my suggestion of keeping “Autumn Hope” in your current post rather than taking the reader to a webpage of a different blog is born out of being jolted by my being taken to what I felt to be a rather short post with a different vibe. I felt that I was in your current post deep in the spirit and profundity of what is being presented, and that the connection and concentration were significantly interrupted during the page change. Hence, I made the suggestion to you of keeping the music here, as you will also keep your readers’ connection with and concentration on the spirit of your post.

By the way, I have replied to your comment submitted to my latest post entitled “🏝💗 Romancing by the Beach and Sea with True Love and Reminiscence 😶‍🌫🐚🐟“, and hope that you will enlighten me about what I stated in the penultimate paragraph of my reply. I look forward to receiving your esteemed reply there. Thank you in anticipation.

Wishing you a productive weekend doing or enjoying whatever that satisfies you the most!

Yours sincerely,
        SoundEagle

Liked by 1 person

• Judy says:

Thank you again, SoundEagle. I meant to reply to your last comment and I got busy with my post. So thank you for reminding me!

Liked by 1 person

2. kegarland says:

Judy, I’m listening to “Autumn Hope” right now. It’s beautiful (as usual). I’m so happy to hear your eye lift surgery was helpful, if only a little bit. I was going to ask you about it if you didn’t update us here lol

Liked by 2 people

• Judy says:

Thank you so much, Katherin! I’m very touched that you checked out Autumn Hope. It was hard work, but so much fun to create it. I’m glad I could tie in the painting with the music. 🙂
      Aw, you are so kind to be concerned about my eyes. That surgery was pretty painful, but I’m glad I could have a better update now that it’s behind me. I’m done with those things for awhile. I do go back to see the surgeon in a month and would love to know if he sees any improvement. I’ll keep you posted!

Liked by 2 people

3. Judy never let go of hope sometimes is a daily struggle. Thank you for sharing as sometimes hope is all we have

Liked by 1 person

4. Ann Coleman says:

As always, your painting is just gorgeous! And even though I don’t have the app so I couldn’t comment, I was able to listen to the recording and really enjoyed it. I’m glad you’re feeling better…Spring does have a way of allowing us to open up to hope again. Take care, my friend!

Liked by 3 people

• Judy says:

Thank you so much, Ann. I’m very touched by your words and you are right about spring. It’s a time of growth and beauty. I am sure spring will be even more appreciated in your area, because you’ve had a very cold winter. ❄️❄️❄️

Liked by 2 people

5. lorriebowden says:

Hi Judy!! I don’t want to come to the end of my response here and push post comment because it will make your lovely music end!! You know how much I just love your words…your music…your art!! You take us on a journey of incredible authenticity and love. Thank you for sharing from your soul…anyone who meets you must feel the same way.
    I am happy you are noticing some improvement from the surgery. It is hard when we take that chance and deal with the consequent pain and then don’t notice that things are better…but I believe you will continue to notice small improvements…at least I pray for that!
    Hope next week is so much fun for you…I will be thinking good thoughts! ❤

Liked by 2 people

• Judy says:

Thank you for your beautiful comment, Lorrie! I’m glad you could enjoy the music and appreciate my openness. It truly is my joy to share!
      I’ve been feeling really great, lately – so improvement is definitely taking hold. My week has gotten off to a wonderful start and I am truly blessed to be on an adventure!
      (A rough start when I almost missed my plane. I was at the wrong boarding gate, listed on my boarding pass. My name was called over the loudspeaker and I tore off running with my guitar before the gate closed. I had the last seat on the flight and my guitar was checked in because there wasn’t any room for it. I was shaking, but managed to eventually calm down after a few tears. Phew!!)

Liked by 1 person

• lorriebowden says:

Oh Judy!! That must have been so stressful for you!! I’m so happy you made it and got settled in pretty quickly. I’m sure you would have preferred to have the guitar on board…I’ve flown where at the last minute they take something precious away and put it in the belly of the plan so I can imagine how you felt!!
        You are on an adventure and it will be a great time…I’m really happy for you 😊 EnJOY…and we will catch up when you get home. Sweet Blessings my friend 💜

Liked by 2 people

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s